Re: Hanging Punctuation Questions

> (6) The WG resolved overflow is ink overflow. I think it should be scrollable overflow.
>  I can elaborate on this if needed, but it’s a selectable character that has to be reachable when edited and cut/copied etc.

As I posted last month, I also think the hang character should be
guaranteed visible, at least in editing mode.
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2016Feb/0006.html

(But the reason Xidorn mentioned is reasonable too. I don't have good
idea which satisfies both things right now.)

> This is similar to text-indent, which creates layout overflow when negative,
>  so it’s not clear to me why hanging punctuation can’t behave the same way.

I understood that the negative text-indent creates an ink overflow,

http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/?saved=3851
because there are no scrollbars in this example (by [1]).

But CSS2 [2] seems saying that it creates an scrollable overflow, like you.
>  If the value of 'text-indent' is either negative or exceeds the width of the block, that first box, described above,
>  can overflow the block. The value of 'overflow' will affect whether such text that overflows the block is visible.

I couldn't find other clarification in css3-text and css3-overflow.

Is this a browser bug (or "implementation-specific limits"), or my
misunderstanding?

[1] http://logs.csswg.org/irc.w3.org/css/2016-01-31/#e645715
[2] https://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/text.html#indentation-prop
Takao Baba (baba@bpsinc.jp)