Re: [css-flexbox]

> On Jan 15, 2016, at 15:20, Bruno Racineux <bruno@hexanet.net> wrote:
>
> On 1/14/16 2:05 AM, "Florian Rivoal" <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
>>
>> So the markup should match the mobile ordering, since that's the intended
>> linear
>> reading order, and the desktop styling should use order to put the main
>> content
>> (which is first in the DOM) in the middle (which is first in perception),
>> and move the navigation to its left, where it draws less attention and is
>> seen last.
>
> Sure, but it's a bit too simplistic an example to reflect many possible
> cases. And I am not suggesting involving the primary landmark elements in
> the reordering. (I would not use or recommend flexbox at the body level
> like that anyway, due to unnecessary reflows or other possible problems)

I wanted to start with a simple example, since even that has been controversial
as far as I can tell. My understanding of the flexbox spec, is that this is the
kind of reordering that it allows.

> The use of flexbox re-ordering is primarily targeted at the content within
> those landmarks, or the landmark itself being the flex wrapper. Main
> navigation isn't likely to be an issue, as it often turns into a popup
> menu, with often a fixed nav position (and where its original desktop
> position may not matter that much). Submenus/subnavs within the main
> content may however be involved in reordering. For me, the necessity so
> far, is a visual reorganization of smaller items, mainly from the main
> <header> or in the breadcrumb surrounding area, to keep as much as
> possible as the screen shrinks. Which can also involve a few
> position:absolute(s) combined with flexbox.

Looks like you have very concrete examples in mind, but I'm not sure
I follow. I think discussing a specific non-trivial (unlike mine) example
could be enlightening to all involved. What kind of markup are you dealing
with, what kind of reordering are you doing, is that something the flexbox
spec should condone or not...

Other than being less simplistic than mine, is there something different
in nature about the reordering you want to do that makes you think that
it is the kind the spec disapproves of?

 - Florian