Re: [css-size-adjust] Expose the adjusted font-size and adjustment percentage

On 1/11/16 3:11 PM, Philip Rogers wrote:
> It's true that returning the used font-size from getComputedStyle would
> likely require layout/reflow.

That wasn't my concern.  Plenty of things in getComputedStyle need
relayout to calculate.

> Are you primarily concerned with the performance impact, or is there
> also a correctness issue with getComputedStyle(...).fontSize not being a
> no-op?

It's a correctness issue, imo.  Generally, the value returned by
getComputedStyle should be such that setting it as the specified value
doesn't change the way things look/act.  Computed and used values both
typically have that property, actually.

 From that point of view, if a UA is enforcing a minimal used font size,
returning that used font size from getComputedStyle seems fine.  But if
a UA is multiplying all font sizes by some constant factor to go from
computed to used, then returning the used value from getComputedStyle
would mean that every time you do the "set specified style to result of
getComputedStyle" operation you would pick up another factor of that
constant, right?

Are we in that sort of situation here, or am I misunderstanding the
proposal?

-Boris