Re: [css-color] wider/deeper colors

> On Feb 16, 2016, at 18:06, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:
>
> Hello Florian,
>
> Thursday, February 11, 2016, 12:45:00 PM, you wrote:
>> Bikesheding the function name aside, I think it would be good if
>> the syntax could allow things like:
>
>>  color("pantone" "P 71-7 C")
>
> Or more generally, and sidestepping the issue of trademarked lists of
> names, it would be good if "named color" profiles were supported.
>
> Pantone happens to be one example which could be implemented like
> that, technically, if the license conditions allowed it which they
> don't.

Sure, I'm am just taking Pantone as an example to illustrate the point.
From a license standpoint, this couldn't happen without their involvement.
But the mechanism to use such colors would follow this kind of syntax.

>> which makes me think the syntax should be something like

> Yes.

The remaining question is how would this be declared. Do ICC profiles
have a way of defining named colors? If not, is there a standard
format for mapping names to the CIE XYZ or Lab color spaces? If not,
do we just add syntax to the @rule to handle this?

@colors "bad-taste" {
  profile: sRGB;
  color: "best-blue" 0 64 196;
  color: "best-grey" 42 42 42;
}

background: color("bad-taste" "best-grey");