Re: [css-color] wider/deeper colors

Hello aaron,

> Something that would benefit from alternative colorspaces even without
> wider display gamut are CSS gradients.

> Currently they're done in sRGB which leads to some fairly ugly results
> when blending hues[1].

> David Baron suggested[2] that extending SVG's color-interpolation
> property to cover gradients might help.

It would help, yes. (Actually not an extension, in SVG it already does
that, but applying the property to html/css would help there).

> The downside tehre is that the only offered alternative, linear sRGB,
> would fix the hue issue it would do so at expense of luminosity
> transitions, e.g. in grey-grey gradients.

Yes, just those two options is too limited.

> Ideally blending in some perceptually uniform space would be an option
> since it likely reflects author intent.

Since we are adding Lab as a colorspace, then adding it as a value to
color-interpolation makes a lot of sense too. Perceptually linear, no
gamut clipping.

> Similarly gradients could benefit from deeper colors even on 8bit
> displays simply by dithering the output to 8bit.

Yes (as is done currently with 8bit colors, dithered to 6bits on TN
displays).

--
Best regards,
 Chris  Lilley