Re: [mediaqueries] light-level

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 6:39 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> # For accessibility purposes, user agents may offer manual
> # controls allowing the user to switch between the 3 levels
> # of independently of the ambient light level, as high
> # contrast or low contrast styles may be more suitable for
> # users with visual disabilities.
> #
> # Using this media feature for accessibility purposes
> # overlaps a lot with the high-contrast media feature
> # proposed by Microsoft. Can we adjust this so that it
> # covers all use cases for both, or somehow modify them
> # to work in an orthogonal, rather than overlapping, fashion?
>
> So, I don't think we should mix up accessibility and light-level.
> foreground swaps: e.g. I might go with a light-on-dark scheme in
> dim lighting to avoid disrupting low-light vision, but not
> necessarily reduce the contrast.
>
> If we want to present contrast preferences, that should be
> explicit. We can show examples where someone who is drawing
> up a low-contrast scheme for dim lighting *also* applies that
> for people with a contrast preference, but they shouldn't be
> tied together.
>
> So I'd remove this issue and work on addressing the need for
> contrast or foreground/background preferences.

We don't generally care about groups which need *less* a11y help, so
"reducing contrast" isn't really a use-case in the first place. ^_^

On the other hand, increasing contrast for "light-level: washed" is a
good idea, *and* it can help with a11y that wants high-contrast.  (It
also generally means going with dark-on-light, which is better for
low-sighted users too.)

So, like Florian, I favor mixing in a11y concerns to functional
concerns when they overlap in a reasonable manner, as they increase
the chance that they'll actually be addressed by authors.