Re: [css-fonts] About the breaking change to CSSFontFaceRule interface

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 11:47:44 -0700
To: "Myles C. Maxfield" <mmaxfield@apple.com>
Cc: Xidorn Quan <me@upsuper.org>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, John Daggett <jdaggett@gmail.com>
On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 1:17 PM, Myles C. Maxfield <mmaxfield@apple.com> wrote:

> On Aug 1, 2016, at 11:59 PM, Xidorn Quan <me@upsuper.org> wrote:
>
> Currently, the CSSFontFaceRule interface described in CSS Fonts spec is
> not what is implemented in browsers. There were some discussions in the
> mailing list last year, and John Daggett said he would try to implement
> the new interface in Firefox [1], but it seems he didn't get a chance to
> finish that before he left Mozilla.
>

> This was added in [1], but that doesn’t provide a link to the discussion.
> Similarly, the link you point to [2] is about either implementing or
> reverting the spec, rather than why this was proposed in the first place. Do
> you think you could link me to the place where this new shape is discussed?
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/commit/0647473afb613e735b0cbe9ea98fb77ff244a1ac
> [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2015Dec/0111.html

Looks like the discussion was kicked off by bz in
<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Jun/0650.html>, a
few months prior to jdaggett's commit.  I fixed @counter-style to the
"descriptors directly on the interface" style as well, due to this
discussion.

(Interesting that just 2 years or so later I'd completely forgotten
about this and just blindly copied what Fonts was currently doing. Yay
institutional memory!)