Re: [css-logical-properties] the 'inline-{start,end}' values for 'float' and 'clear'

> On Nov 6, 2015, at 2:54 AM, Johannes Wilm <johannes@fiduswriter.org> wrote:
>

>> -- 'float: bottom' = 'float: none bottom ' (no left or right mentioned, so no left or right floating).
>>
>> -- 'float: left' = 'float: left none' (no top or bottom mentioned, so no top or bottom floating, matches existing).
>>
>> -- 'float: right' = 'float: right none' (no top or bottom mentioned, so no top or bottom floating, matches existing).
>

> I think page floats will have to behave quite differently than inline floats here.

Of course. I am proposing something quite different.

> If one floats to the top, one expects the float to cover the entire top,

I don't think many people would expect floating a picture would ever cause it to stretch.

> not to land at some arbiotrary place in the inline direction. Same if one wants to float to the right or left of a column/page/region.

It is not arbitrary. Please read what I proposed. It is basically this: float:top moves it to the beginning of the first line box, and let's it become a block (floating already turns inlines into blocks). That's it.

The rest is existing effect of combining it with existing inline floating. float:bottom is like float:top, except it moves it to the last line box instead of the first.

That covers all the major use cases, and is not the straw man that you are attacking.