Re: [css-text][css-writing-modes] Line breaking around Emoji, Gaiji, U+FFFC, and text-combine-horizontal

I’m revising the proposal after discussed with Unicode experts.

1. Change the 5th bullet of 5.1 Line Breaking Details[1] to force a soft wrap opportunity both before and after a replaced element and other atomic inline for web-compatibility, but not by changing the behavior of U+FFFC nor the rule orders of UAX#14.

2. Add ‘line-break-string’ property. When this property is set to a string of 1 character length, the element looks as if its text is the character to line breakers and justification algorithms.

TL;DR; changing the order of rules are usually not allowed in libraries such as ICU, and therefore makes implementations hard. It’s better to handle application specific behavior outside of the UAX#14 if desired for backward compatibilities or for any other reasons.

One of the experts recommended ID (Ideographic) class[2] for inline images such as Emoji. One idea is to have a boolean property to opt-in to this behavior. Another idea was to for authors to specify UAX#14 class. Among the three options, I think the 1 character length string gives the best flexibility.

I’ll try edits to the ED and will let you know, but any feedback are appreciated anytime.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-text-3/#line-break-details
[2] http://unicode.org/reports/tr14/#ID

/koji