Re: [css-text][css-writing-modes] Line breaking around Emoji, Gaiji, U+FFFC, and text-combine-horizontal

On 01/17/2015 05:53 AM, Koji Ishii wrote:
> I’m revising the proposal after discussed with Unicode experts.
>
> 1. Change the 5th bullet of 5.1 Line Breaking Details[1] to force a soft wrap opportunity both before and after a replaced element and other atomic inline for web-compatibility, but not by changing the behavior of U+FFFC nor the rule orders of UAX#14.

I think this is fine, although it doesn't appear to be a valid tailoring
of UAX#14, either.

> 2. Add ‘line-break-string’ property. When this property is set to a string of 1 character length, the element looks as if its text is the character to line breakers and justification algorithms.

I don't understand this property, and do not want to add a new property.

> One of the experts recommended ID (Ideographic) class[2] for inline images such as Emoji. One idea is to have a boolean property to opt-in to this behavior. Another idea was to for authors to specify UAX#14 class. Among the three options, I think the 1 character length string gives the best flexibility.

Is there a reason we can't just treat as ID always?

~fantasai