Re: [css-writing-modes] text-orientation: sideways-left

On 01/11/2015 07:26 AM, Koji Ishii wrote:
> I'd like to propose to:
> 1. Defer 'sideways-left'[1] to Level 4, and
> 2. Make 'sideways' as a value alias to 'sideways-right', not as a
> switch between 'sideways-left' and 'sideways-right' by writing-mode.
>
> Currently, WebKit and Blink does not implement this value, and do #2
> above. IE does not implement this property yet. I don't know the
> status of Gecko, but I'd like to sort this out before implementations
> pick different choices for the 'sideways' value.

I think it's important for solving the use case of non-vertical writing
in vertical orientations. The purpose of 'sideways' was so that authors
of English, Arabic, etc. could use vertical writing without having to
worry about 'text-orientation'; they can just set
   :root { text-orientation: sideways; }
and then the document is always correct.

I would be OK with deferring 'sideways' and 'sideways-left' to L4 if
necessary, but I am not OK with allowing 'sideways' to be an alias
to 'sideways-right'. This means that we have no value that handles
correctly non-vertical writing systems.

~fantasai