Re: [css-text-4] text-wrap:balance take 2

On 2/6/15, 4:12 PM, "Peter Moulder" <pjrm@mail.internode.on.net> wrote:

>On Fri, Feb 06, 2015 at 04:38:44AM +0000, Alan Stearns wrote:
>
>> Until then, I think a less-nuanced text-wrap:balance is still useful.
>
>More useful still would be a feature differing only in that it didn't
>make as
>much of a change to the apparent measure, merely using this freedom to
>avoid
>very short last line rather than insisting on having all lines equal.
>Yes?

No, I don’t agree. I think in current browsers the less-nuanced
text-wrap:balance is more useful than a feature that tries to fix short
last line lengths. Short last line lengths is a more difficult problem
that will take more work to solve.

>That would seem a closer way of matching the use cases that have been
>mentioned, and the implementation is very similar -- if anything, easier
>because of having more flexibility with how much goes to the last line.

I still think there’s a clear distinction between these cases:

1. Balance lines, allowing changes to the ‘normal’ line measure

(headlines, short caption/aside)

2. Try to fix a short last line without changing the ‘normal’ line measure
too much

(anything more like a paragraph)

I think most of the use cases brought up for text-wrap:balance fit into
the first category. I could certainly be wrong. What do others think?

Thanks,

Alan