Re: [css-ruby] Tone mark of bopomofo in ruby

Hi Martin,

We have tried to start a open source project, and already have a preliminary output here[1].

It works on Chrome canary[2], but still need to tune, such as the tone mark still occupied a full width space after bopomofo characters.

the project plan is here in Chinese [3], I translate the requirement here:

# related codepoints

- Bopomofo characters: U+3105-U+3129
- U+02CA MODIFIER LETTER ACUTE ACCENT
- U+02C7 CARON
- U+02CB MODIFIER LETTER GRAVE ACCENT
- U+02D9 DOT ABOVE

# Rules

When Bopomofo is aligned vertically, as inline or inter-character ruby.

And U+02CA / U+02C7 / U+02CB is placed after U+3113 - U+3129

the tone mark should be placed as the reference [4]

Additionally, if we decided the light tone be placed before Bopomofo Characters

When U+02D9 is placed before U+3105 - U+3129

It's height should be compressed, or displayed by substitute glyph.

I think it can be done by OpenType GPOS/GSUB feature, or by Layout Engine, same rules.

[1]: OTF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/448adhcbgaudt4g/Bopomofo3DU.otf
XHTML: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ld2ert8tr5hprzb/bopomofo_vert_gpos.xhtml

[2]: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9eb5m63xzwlle59/Screenshot%202015-02-05%2003.21.45.png

[3]: https://g0v.hackpad.com/OpenType-Font-bFFqBpPmcz0

[4]: https://www.dropbox.com/s/09yk4int5t1b5m8/mandarin_zhuyinfuhou_handbook.pdf

> Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> 於 2015年2月5日 下午6:43 寫道:
>
> On 2015/02/04 00:13, Koji Ishii wrote:
>
>> 1. Do you want browsers to re-order the light tone marks, or do you
>> think it should be done in the source HTML files?
>
> I personally think it should be done in a font. I'm sure it can be done in a font, similar to vowel reordering in South Asian scripts if there's no simpler solution. That would make it straightforward because all four tone marks would be handled the same.
>
> But of course I'll leave it to the experts who are closer to the use cases.
>

>> 2. I recommend you to initiate an open source font project that
>> handles positioning of second/third/forth tone marks. Fonts only with
>> Bopomofo characters should not be too hard.
>
> As I say above, adding handling of the light tone mark should also be possible in a font.
>
> Regards,   Martin.

Bobby Tung
W3C invited expert
Chinese Layout Task Force Co-chair