Re: [css3-animation] why content property not animatable?

On Oct 21, 2014, at 2:55 PM, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/8/14, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 3:43 AM, Tim Larson <Tim.Larson@telventdtn.com>
>> wrote:
>
> [...]
>

>> We've planned for some time to allow all properties to be animatable,
>> even when they don't have a metric.  Instead, they'd just switch from
>> their start to end value halfway through the timing-function progress.
>> This is still the plan of record, but nobody's tried out the
>> implementation yet to see if there are any compat issues that we'd
>> have to address.
>>

> Change in the middle, as a general-purpose, diplomatic middle ground?

Change in the middle as in 'let's enable basic support for this without
adding a whole lot of complexity before we know it's needed'.

> Sometimes you want the threshold transition to occur before the
> beginning, other times after the finish. I've never wanted to
> transition change "display" in the middle of a transition, but I have
> wanted to set display to other than "none" before the beginning of
> transitions, and vice-versa after the end of transitions. Ditto for
> visibility.

Actual use-cases would be interesting. Without them it's not clear why you needed this.

There is a fair point here though; when we say 'middle' we're talking about the middle of the timing function curve, which may not be the middle of the corresponding time interval. So if you know when you want a discrete property to change value, figuring out the before/after keyframe selector value is not user-friendly in non-linear cases.