Re: [css3-animation] why content property not animatable?

From: Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 14:55:17 -0700
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Tim Larson <Tim.Larson@telventdtn.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On 10/8/14, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 3:43 AM, Tim Larson <Tim.Larson@telventdtn.com>
> wrote:

[...]

> We've planned for some time to allow all properties to be animatable,
> even when they don't have a metric.  Instead, they'd just switch from
> their start to end value halfway through the timing-function progress.
> This is still the plan of record, but nobody's tried out the
> implementation yet to see if there are any compat issues that we'd
> have to address.

Change in the middle, as a general-purpose, diplomatic middle ground?

Sometimes you want the threshold transition to occur before the
beginning, other times after the finish. I've never wanted to
transition change "display" in the middle of a transition, but I have
wanted to set display to other than "none" before the beginning of
transitions, and vice-versa after the end of transitions. Ditto for
visibility.

Things like text-decoration or float or direction aren't so clear cut.
--
Garrett
@xkit