Re: [css-gcpm] String-set issues

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 22:05:15 +0100
Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:

> Liam R E Quin wrote:
>
>  > > I've been giving some attention named strings in the latest GCPM
>  > > draft [1]. I have some issues and comments. I'll start with the
>  > > things I think are problems, and then I'll propose how I'd like
>  > > to see it improve.
>  >
>  > Brad, agree 100% that string-set is sucky. There are several
>  > problems I see, one of which is that we're supposed to be
>  > declarative and assignment sounds awfully procedural
>
> It's slightly more subtle. 'string-set' isn't procedural, like in
> "assign this value to that variable". Rather, it declares that certain
> elements (those selected) influence a certain named string. Later, the
> named string can be referred to, but each names string can take on
> several values depending on where the assignment took place.

Yes (I understand how it works, was commenting on the name itself and how it sounds). Sorry if I wasn't clear.

> [...] Have you seen running elements?:
Yes (and referred to it, although not by name). But it requires additional markup.

>  >   003-14 14.2.1 The Section Title Here            [ short form of current lemma title ]
>  >
>  > where the chapter number is 2 digits, there's a fixed hyphen before
>  > the page number, and the running header contains MathML (or
>  > Japanese Ruby)...
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean with "two digits" above,
The leading zero.

>  > Basing content flows on the spec that defines content flows
>  > (regions) seems on the face of it very sensible and I agree we
>  > should explore it.
>
> I can never be against explorations. But it also seems wise to try out
> existing specs and implementations before heading out anew.

Yes - I've been using AntennaHouse Formatter, PrinceXML (thank you) and PDFReactor, and even weasyprint.  I know that Dave Cramer in this thread has also been using the features we're duscussing very heavily.