Re: [css-gcpm] String-set issues

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 15:43:58 -0500 Dave Cramer <dauwhe@gmail.com> wrote:

> [1] Retain internal structure of element (like italic inside head, or MathML)
> [2] Avoid duplicate markup
> [3] Provide mechanism for inserting commonly-used non-document
> content, like dates and filenames
> [4] Allow independent styling of copied content
> [5] Provide way of selecting which instance of element is used on a
> given page (as first/start/last/first-except tries to do)

This is a pretty good list.

Aplifying slightly...

A disadvantage of using content: today -- you get this also with dot leaders in a table of contents -- is that you often require formatting inside the result. I see Bert makes not of this in his document [1].

One approach might be to be able to construct a sequence of boxes and apply formatting properties to them. Another approach (in use today) is to transform part or all of the document, e.g. with XSLT, to generate elements that you then move into the flow.

If I'm formatting a dictionary of mathematics it's a pain to have to duplicate every heading for use in the running heads and footers. (getting the "last entry that starts on this page" into a running head turns out to be difficult with the current system, by the way).

XSL's retrieve-marker works fairly well, although even there we had people who needed to control whether the styles were applied based on the element's position in the document or based on its position after moving to the page header.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Style/2013/paged-media-tasks#running-headers-and-footers-there-are-tw