Re: [css-grid] Absolutely positioned grid items

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 6:03 AM, Manuel Rego Casasnovas <rego@igalia.com> wrote:
> On 12/11/14 23:07, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> No, we're just being sloppy with terminology in 8.4, and with the
>> "Applies to" lines in the propdef tables. ("Applies to" is just an
>> informative note, anyway.)
>>
>> The grid-placement properties definitely apply to abspos elements
>> whose containing block is a grid container, even if they're not
>> children.  They alter the containing block to be the grid area
>> described by the properties (with the alteration, described in 8.4,
>> that an "auto" value *does* contribute a line, namely the
>> corresponding padding edge of the grid container).
>>
>> I'll fix to make this clearer.
>
> Just an extra thing about this, probably the spec should include also
> fixed positioned elements (not only absolutely positioned).
>
> As in some cases (for example using "transform" property [1]) the grid
> could be the containing block of the fixed elements. I guess that the
> same behavior than absolutely positioned elements should be applied.

The term "absolutely positioned" applies to fixpos as well.  The only
difference between abspos and fixpos is the containing block.  If a
fixpos is switched to having an element as a containing block, it'll
already get caught by wording about "absolutely positioned" elements.