Re: [css3-ui] Overview and Introduction

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 5:13 AM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
> CSS3-UI has both an Overview and an introduction, which have very similar content.
>
> In addition, the Overview makes a couple of statements that I do not believe are in line with how the WG communicates about levels or modules these days (i.e. CSS 3 is not a thing, CSS has modules, and each module has levels):
>
> - “This document is one of the "modules" for the upcoming CSS3 specification”
>
> - “The Working Group doesn't expect that all implementations of CSS3 will implement all properties or values. Instead, there will probably be a small number of variants of CSS3, so-called "profiles". “

Agreed; this text is very outdated and doesn't reflect what the
group's consensus on the purpose of CSS modules has been for years.

> The only new bit of information it brings is the link to “http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-css3-userint-20000216”, which I have proposed to include in Module Interactions (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2014Nov/0433.html).

I've never seen that!  It doesn't belong in Module Interactions, as
it's not a "real" module (in the sense of the WG being aware of it and
working on it, or any implementor even knowing it exists).  However,
it should be preserved somewhere - perhaps the wiki?

> I suggest simply removing the overview.
>
> As for the introduction, I think the first sentence also suffers from the same problem, and should either be fixed or removed (I prefer removed): “CSS3 is a set of modules, divided up and profiled in order to simplify the specification, and to allow implementors the flexibility of supporting the particular modules appropriate for their implementations.”

Bikeshed-generated Abstracts already contain a paragraph explaining
what CSS is, so I agree that should be removed from the Intro.