Re: [css-ruby] spanning of ruby annotations across excess bases

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 11:54:17 -0500
To: Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com>, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>
CC: kawabata taichi <kawabata.taichi@gmail.com>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On 11/13/2014 01:39 AM, Xidorn Quan wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 5:24 PM, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com <mailto:kojiishi@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 5:53 AM, Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com <mailto:quanxunzhen@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>>> I have another suggestion. I found that in all use cases
>>> I had seen in JLREQ and specs, spanning is never directly
>>> connected with any previous separate-paired annotation.
>>> Is that make sense to only have span when an annotation
>>> is the only child of a <rtc>? I think that could significantly
>>> reduce the complexity on width calculation (which is the
>>> hardest part in my opinion) and line breaking. In addition,
>>> even if we drop spanning completely, we have to process
>>> this level of complexity to support ruby-merge anyway.
>>
>>  I don't understand what you meant by "connected",
>
> I meant, I found that spans do not immediately follow other
> annotations, so that use cases for spanning can be covered
> by the  solution I proposed.
>
>> but do you mean to allow spanning only when there is only
> > one <rt> child for a <rtc>? If that's the case, I think it's
>> reasonable. If I misunderstood what you meant, can you
>> clarify a bit more?
>
> Yes, that's what I meant. That could significantly simplify
> handling spanning, since there won't be spans of different
> width in one segment.

Yes, I don't see a problem here either. I would prefer, if it's
possible, that we only span if the content is directly contained
in an <rtc> rather than special-casing <rt>s that are the only
child. Is that workable? That was the original goal: to make
content directly contained by an <rtc> span all the bases.
The effects on <rt> was just error-handling that fell out of
that approach.

~fantasai