Re: [css-ruby] spanning of ruby annotations across excess bases

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 1:16 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
wrote:

> On 11/11/2014 09:01 PM, Xidorn Quan wrote:
>

>> I don't agree with that model as well, but I don't think HTML5 model is
>> perfect either. Back to spanning, IMHO, it introduces much complexity
>> with nearly no benefits, hence I suggest that we should get rid of it.
>>

> The benefit is consistency of the markup model for double-sided ruby,
> regardless of whether you need spanning or not. See explanation at:
>   http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/weblog/2011/ruby/
>
> Without it, you'd need to switch between nested ruby or <rtc> markup
> depending on whether that particular word in the second level required
> spanning or broke at the same boundary as the first level.

Do we really have use cases that authors may sometimes need span but
sometimes not in the same level?

AFAICS, we have two main use cases for double-sided ruby: one is the
Japanese two pronouncation case, the other is making annotation in other
language. For the first case, kun'yomi always spans the kanjis, while
on'yomi are always separate. For the second case, I don't think most
languages can be aligned with each other in sub-word level.

Hence, it won't cause any inconsistency to require nested markup for
spanning. Whether a level needs spanning or not doesn't change among words.

- Xidorn