Re: [css-ruby] spanning of ruby annotations across excess bases

On 11/11/2014 09:01 PM, Xidorn Quan wrote:

> I don't agree with that model as well, but I don't think HTML5 model is
> perfect either. Back to spanning, IMHO, it introduces much complexity
> with nearly no benefits, hence I suggest that we should get rid of it.

The benefit is consistency of the markup model for double-sided ruby,
regardless of whether you need spanning or not. See explanation at:
   http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/weblog/2011/ruby/

Without it, you'd need to switch between nested ruby or <rtc> markup
depending on whether that particular word in the second level required
spanning or broke at the same boundary as the first level.

~fantasai