Re: [css-text] I18N-ISSUE-313: Definition of grapheme clusters

Thank you for reworking section 1.3.1 in the latest editor's version
(dated 20 March 2014).  It's great to move away from the vague
definition of character that we had before, but I'm still concerned
about the text for a couple of reasons.

One is that, as I mentioned already, it is not correct to say 'the
"user-perceived character", also know as the grapheme cluster.'  The
equivalent term for a user-percieved character is 'grapheme'.  The
'grapheme cluster' is a unit derived from rules in Unicode to yield an
*approximation* to a user-defined character.  Not all user-perceived
characters are grapheme clusters.

Another is a worry whether we can really effectively split the world
into semantically-perceived and visually-perceived characters -
especially given the 'etc' that appears in the definition where we list
appropriate operations for each. For example, are we sure that
first-letter operations require semantically- rather than
visually-perceived characters in all cases?  Where does cursor movement
fit here? etc.

What about Arabic justification which may involve increasing word
-internal 'gaps' that occur due to one glyph not joining with the
following glyph. These are relevant units for justification of Arabic
text, but they aren't user-perceived characters.

And what about the case where Indic script text units vary according to
the font in use.  As I understand it, a text unit for wrapping or
stretching in Devanagari can encompass a CvCVD (consonant, virama,
consonant, vowel sign, diacritic) only if the font has glyphs to show
this is a single visual unit (eg. ligatures, half-forms, special glyphs)
and hides the virama. If the font is changed, such that the virama
becomes visible, we are now dealing with two text units.  This
font-specific behaviour for the same sequence of code points is a
contextual difference that, I think, cuts across both the semantic- and
visual- categories currently defined.

I think that actually all we may be trying to say is that the atomic
unit of text for a particular operation may not be the same as for
another, but that we start from a base of grapheme clusters and require
the application to take into account variances and extensions of that as
needed.  What if we simply talk in terms of vague 'typographic units',
or 'text units', or some such, but describe up front how these can be
different sequences of code points depending on the operation to be
performed (ie. not try to define just two specific scenarios)?

To help with that, I propose the following text for section 1.3.1 to
replace the 2nd paragraph and the DL list.

For text layout the appropriate atomic units of text may include more
than one Unicode code point. Often these text units correspond to
*graphemes*, ie. what a language user (as opposed to a computer
programmer) considers to be a character or basic unit of the script.
Unfortunately, the appropriate units may be different for the same
sequence of Unicode codepoints according to the operation which is being
performed, or according to the visual context. (For example,
line-breaking and letter-spacing may interpret a sequence of Thai
characters that include U+0E33 THAI CHARACTER SARA AM differently; or
the behaviour of a conjunct consonant in a script such as Devanagari may
depend on the font in use).

The Unicode specification defines various combinations of code points as
forming *extended grapheme clusters*. This is an attempt to indicate
what users perceive as characters, and the term is described in detail
in the Unicode Technical Report: Text Boundaries [UAX29]. Much of the
time this produces the necessary text units for layout, however it is
only an approximation and in some cases, such as those mentioned above,
additional rules need to be applied by the application to tailor the
definition of the text unit appropriately for the context.

Applications need to be aware of the typographic rules that must be used
to determine units of text for a given operation on a particular script,
and apply them to achieve the appropriate segmentation of the text for
that operation.

RI

PS: Btw, the definition of semantically-perceived character has a
sentence that says that tailoring may be necessary.  Doesn't this also
apply to visually-perceived characters (eg. in the Thai case)?