Re: Interop issues regarding tables and css tables

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 15:21:57 -0700
To: Greg Whitworth <gwhit@microsoft.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Friday 2014-06-20 22:15 +0000, Greg Whitworth wrote:
> Was just wanting to ping you to see if you were able to give this situation any further thought. The more that we've reviewed this the more that we think that the IE behavior is the most consistent and subsequently intuitive implementation. I would prefer to not continue leaving this issue undefined since we have an interop issues in this area. Thanks.

So what *is* the IE behavior, and what are the behaviors of other
browsers?  In other words, what rules does each browser uses for
determining where to place the baseline of the line (and its aligned
subtree) when it is not the tallest aligned subtree in the line
(i.e., there are some taller 'vertical-align: top' and/or
'vertical-align: bottom' subtrees)?

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,