Re: [css-text] I18N-ISSUE-333: 'letter-spacing' and Arabic

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 07:19:42 -0700
To: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>, Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@googlemail.com>
CC: Najib Tounsi <ntounsi@emi.ac.ma>, "Phillips, Addison" <addison@lab126.com>, "CSS WWW Style (www-style@w3.org)" <www-style@w3.org>, www International <www-international@w3.org>
On 05/30/2014 05:08 AM, Richard Ishida wrote:
> On 23/04/2014 08:58, Koji Ishii wrote:
>>
>> We have the following text[1]:
>>
>>> When the effective letter-spacing between two characters is not zero
>> > (due to either justification or non-zero computed
>>> ‘letter-spacing’), user agents should not apply optional ligatures.
>>
>> I suppose this clarifies your concern, please let me know if not.
>>
>> [1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-text/#letter-spacing
>
> Is it really expected that implementations decompose optional ligatures
> when 'stretching' Arabic text? Are we just making assumptions here, or
> is this based on some typographic tradition?

No. This statement is not about Arabic, it's about ligatures in general.
For example, an "fi" ligature should be broken when letter-spacing is
applied.

If letter-spacing were to be applied to Arabic *as spacing*, then yes,
that, too, should disable optional ligatures. But for Arabic, you're
not allowed to do this, thus the effective letter-spacing between
Arabic letters is always zero and this sentence does not apply.

I will clarify that point.

~fantasai