Re: [css-flexbox] feedback

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Cory Brown <oh.wise.man@gmail.com> wrote:
> I did a cursory look around and didn't see anyone suggest this. I'd like to
> see a new value for flex-wrap of "balance" or something similar.
>
> `flex-wrap: balance;`
>
> The purpose of this is to allow for flex-items to wrap in such a way that
> each row has a more evenly distributed set of items. Right now when a
> flex-row wraps, it wraps only the minimum number of items to let the row
> above fit. This is fine in some cases, but I find there is often a
> preference to more evenly distribute items among rows. Even attempting to
> create some JavaScript that will do this has been a big challenge since
> there doesn't seem to be a straight-forward way to force a row break between
> flex-items.
>
> Adobe has suggested something somewhat related with the text-wrap: balance
> proposal (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Jan/0597.html).
> This would do effectively the same thing for flex-items in a flex-container
> and could have a very similar syntax.
>
> Thanks for the consideration, feedback or suggestions.

I definitely plan to offer greater control over flex-line breaking and
balancing in Flexbox 2.  Unfortunately, I also don't plan to work on
Flexbox 2 for at least a year or more, as I consider it much more
important to let implementations stabilize on the current Flexbox and
Grid feature set.  But eventually I'll get to this!

~TJ