Re: Textarea overflow: (not set) and inherited computed values

On 6/9/14, 5:16 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> Firefox is guaranteed correct in cases 2 and 4.  They're correct in
> cases 1 and 3 if there's no UA styles setting the elements to
> something else; there shouldn't be any such thing, since <textarea> is
> replaced content and thus CSS doesn't have control over its scrolling
> behavior.

I was with you until the last clause.  ;)

Web compat requires, afaict, that some values of "overflow" in fact
affect the scrolling behavior of iframe.

The Gecko implementation effectively allows all specified and computed
values as normal and then treats "visible" as "auto" at used value time.

The WebKit/Blink implementation seems to treat a specified value of
"visible" as a computed value of "auto" (or possibly the used style;
it's hard to tell with getComputedStyle which one you're getting for
which property in which implementation).

I'm not quite sure what IE is actually doing here.

-Boris