Re: [css-grid] Automatic position and span for named grid line

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 15:33:39 +0200
To: Manuel Rego Casasnovas <rego@igalia.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Manuel Rego Casasnovas <rego@igalia.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> reviewing the spec I've found the following sentence in
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-grid/#grid-placement-errors:
> "If the grid item has an automatic position and a grid span for a named
> line in a given dimension, instead treat the grid span as one."
>
> If I understood it correctly, that means that something like this:
>   grid-row: auto;
>   grid-column: span namedgridline;
>
> Will become:
>   grid-row: auto;
>   grid-column: span 1;
>
> I'd like to confirm that this is the expected behaviour and the
> rationale behind it.

This, that's correct and intentional.

The reason for it is that if you don't know where you're going to end
up in a given dimension, spanning to a particular line doesn't seem to
make any sense; it means that your size might vary wildly based on
where you land.  Since it's almost certainly an error, we cut it off
early, so it's hopefully more obvious.

> BTW, current implementation in Blink allows to use a named grid line in
> that case.

File a bug. ^_^