RE: [CSS2.1] Interop Issue in regards to fixed/absolute positioned children inside of inline-relative containers

From: Greg Whitworth <gwhit@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 21:55:39 +0000
To: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>, GĂ©rard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
> Here is a test case for the vertical offset also seen in Boris Zbarsky's test case
> which Firefox fails.
>
> http://css-class.com/test/css21testsuite/abs-pos-child-inside-rel-pos-inline-

> offset-002.html

I would also like to note since it was brought up:

     # As is seen in the test case 'containing-block-inline4.htm' [5] all browsers are mispositioning the green box.

A colleague of mine told me that during our work on IE9 we did try to adhere explicitly to the spec and place the inline box exactly where it would have been if it were static, but ran into too many compat issues during testing. As such, I  do think that the spec should be updated to match reality that the UAs use the top of the containing block for placement of absolutely placed boxes.

Thank you all for your help on this!

Greg