[css-ruby] Behavior of floats inside ruby

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 12:19:33 +0100
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Right now the CSS Ruby spec has a rule to "inlinize" the display types
of any boxes inside the ruby container. This is to prevent block-in-inline
splits of ruby structures and other such fun complications.
   See http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2014Jul/0028.html

bz brought up the point that float handling isn't really considered in
the spec: if it contains a float, is the ruby structure the containing
block for that float, or, like regular inlines, does it get passed up
to the ruby structure's containing block?

Ruby is supposed to be a sort of fancy inline box: it breaks across
lines, its contents (ideally) participate in the line's justification,
etc. I think you could make an argument that ruby *annotations* are
little block containers, but the base text certainly isn't.
Also, I think it's probably best if the base and annotation layers have
similar behavior.
Therefore, imho, ruby containers should not trap floats.

Which brings us to, what *do* they do with floats? There are two reasonable
options here:
   A. Pass them up to the containing block, just like normal inlines do.
   B. Ignore 'float', similar to how we ignore block-levelness.

Since there are, afaik, no real use cases for putting floats inside ruby,
either option is fine. What do implementers prefer?

~fantasai