Re: [css-transforms] 'transform' longhands and their origins, introducing origin() functions

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 13:07:08 -0700
To: Rafal Pietrak <rafal@ztk-rp.eu>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 11:51 AM, Rafal Pietrak <rafal@ztk-rp.eu> wrote:
> What I tried to say is, that all this just adds up to conclusion, that
> instead of supplementing current svg drawing model with c.a 20 new
> properties entangled with current transforms, most of the cases could
> probably be addressed by uniform introduction of (some) local coordinate
> system. This works for cairographics, could work here.

Hm, I'm not sure how that addresses any of this, though.  Note that
transforms *already* deal with local coordinate systems - whenever you
transform an element, you're actually transforming the coordinate
system it uses (which is why there's a difference between
"rotate(90deg) translateX(100px)" and "translateX(100px)
rotate(90deg)").

Can you elaborate on what you're suggesting, and how you think it
might help?  I suspect there's an inferential gap I'm not crossing.

~TJ