Re: [css3-ruby] Section 2.2 step 7's provisions for inter-segment white space are odd

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 11:47:58 -0400
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 7/2/14, 10:01 AM, fantasai wrote:
> Ok, I've made a bunch of edits that hopefully resolve all the
> problems. :)

I don't think this issue was addressed at all, sadly.

Looking at the spec as of today, step 7 says:

   A sequence of ruby base containers, ruby annotation containers,
   and/or inter-segment white space not parented by a ruby container is
   wrapped in an anonymous ruby container.

inter-segment white space is a subset of intra-ruby whitespace, per step
5.

intra-ruby whitespace, per step 3, can only occur as a child of a ruby
container or ruby base container.

Once again, if the parent is a ruby container there is nothing to be
done in step 7 so the parent must be a ruby base container, and I
believe the rest of the analysis from my original mail follows.

> What the spec is trying to accomplish is to make
> this whiteboard example work:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2014Jun/att-0027/PastedGraphic-1.png

That example doesn't involve step 7 at all, right?

For purposes of step 7, the relevant DOM would look more like this:

-Boris