Re: [css-text] Control characters

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 07:57:03 -0700
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
On Jul 1, 2014, at 12:07 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:

>> On 7/1/14, 2:39 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:
>> I think if Google's spider is that broken, then Google should fix it.
>
> So you think all software in the world should be changed to deal with this particular brand of broken content, I get it.

That is a mischaracterization. I merely said that it is beyond our preview to make sure Google can find words if they have bad characters in them, and beyond our purview to highlight authors mistakes. Just as we do not dictate that implementors should highlight misspellings. If a character is obviously a mistake, if there is no question it is unintentional, and if it is easy to hide it or remove it, then we should.

> How likely do you think it is in practice?
>
>> The browser already changes copied content as a result of text-transform.
>
> Firefox certainly doesn't do that.

Good, and good to know. Thanks. WebKit does, and I think IE does too. I imagine Chrome does too.

Anyway, my preference is that the browser completely filters out the unintentional control characters completely, so that they don't interfere with copying or searching. But that is an implementation detail.