Re: Proposal: will-change property (formerly will-animate)

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 15:41:32 -0800
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org>, Benoit Girard <bgirard@mozilla.com>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>
On Thursday 2014-01-16 17:14 -0800, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 5:09 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> What's the stacking-context behavior of scroll-position and contents?
> >
> > No effect.
>
> In that case, I have a preliminary draft up at
> <http://tabatkins.github.io/specs/css-will-change/>.
>
> If someone could suggest a better name for the spec, then we can ask
> the group for publication as an ED within the CSSWG.

The spec draft seems to allow 'auto' both as a <custom-ident> and as
the separate 'auto' value.  This is confusing because the first is
not allowed to be part of a list, which means:
  will-change: auto;
and
  will-change: scroll-position, auto;
are referring to entirely separate 'auto' values.  I'm inclined to
think that the <custom-ident> here should additionally exclude the
'auto' value, making the second line above invalid.

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,
             And to whom I was like to give offense.