Re: [css-counter-styles] potential abuse of pad

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 9:28 PM, Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The spec mentions the potential abuse of some systems. However, it is
> also possible for 'pad' to be abused in a similar way. The total
> characters produced by pad should be limited as well.
>
> Nevertheless, I'm not sure what should happen for a too long pad.
> There are two options:
>
> 1. drop the whole representation, and use the fallback;
> 2. drop symbols until the total length is acceptable.
>
> Personally I prefer the first option though I do not have a strong reason.

Nope, 'pad' isn't abusable.  It produces representations that don't
depend on the value of the counter, and so is safe.

That is, I'm fine if you can generate a gig of counter representation
by specifying a gig of descriptor in your stylesheet.  I'm not fine if
you can generate a gig of representation from less than a kilo of
stylesheet.

'pad' is basically equivalent in abuse potential to 'content':
"*::before { content: "[long string here]"; }" is basically the same
thing.