Re: Proposal: Minor 'text-transform' property revision

On Wed, 2014-02-19 at 13:02 -0800, L. David Baron wrote:
> On Wednesday 2014-02-19 13:27 -0500, Brian Blakely wrote:
> > I recommend leaving the actual blacklist creation to user agents.
>
> No -- building the blacklist is a lot of work, and authors will
> complain if user agents don't match.

Worse, there's no single blacklist even for a given locale. Dave Cramer
pointed out that a word normally capitalized might be treated
differently when it's actually an acronym (or initialism). People's
names are hard to capitalize correctly (some people have MacTavish and
others Mactavish).

Markup such as proper-name and abbr elements can help, especially in
languages like German where words are capitalized based on their
grammatical role.

But on the whole it's best for the text to provide the content. The
computer isn't up to this task - even a human editor can't reliably
reverse-engineer an all-caps headline into a mixed caps one. It's like
trying to remove hyphens from the end of OCR'd or transcribed texts and
join the two halves of words togther, and having to guess where sis-
ters-in-law originally had hyphens.

Liam