[text-decor-3] matching platform defaults with text-decoration-skip: auto

From: Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 16:25:34 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org
Hi,

The initial value of `text-decoration-skip' is currently `objects'.
However, the default platform text decoration behavior on OS X and iOS
is equivalent to `ink'. We'd like to be able to match the system
behavior by default in WebKit.

I propose we add an `auto' value to `text-decoration-skip'. While its
definition would give UAs broad leeway, the spec should have a
non-normative note encouraging UAs to match platform conventions for
`auto'.

Once `text-decoration-skip: auto' is defined, we should change the
initial value of `text-decoration-skip' to be `auto'.

WDYT?

Ted