[css-flexbox] concepts of baselines

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 12:28:15 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-flexbox/#flex-baselines has a bunch of
text about how CSS 2.1 doesn't define the baseline of block and
table boxes, etc.  However, it misses a distinction present in the
underlying concepts.

If CSS 2.1 defined a baseline, it would need to define *two*
concepts of baseline, a last-line baseline concept used for
inline-block and inline-table baseline alignment in
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#propdef-vertical-align
(which also uses the bottom edge for overflow != visible, and which,
for compatibility, uses the first row of a table), and a first-line
baseline concept used for table cell baseline alignment in
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#height-layout .

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,