Re: A *:body pseudo class

> Hi Leif,
>
> You wrote:
>
> > This might well have been thought of already. But when designing/
> > styling some HTML documents as a book, I found myself repeatedly
> > adding div elements of the following kind:
> >
> > <section>
> >  <h1> Headding</h1>
> > </section>
>
> I think you're looking for <main>:
>
> > The main element can be used as a container for the dominant contents
> > of another element. It represents its children.
>
> See http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/grouping-content.html#the-main-element
>

> Ted
>
> P.S. Yes, I realize the W3C version of the spec forbids <main> from
> appearing more than once on a page. There's an open bug on this.

there's a closed bug on it :-).

This thread is about styling and its fine to use <div> in this
circumstance, unlike
the main element which represents the main content of the document, not
bits in sections. So what you suggest is non conforming as its an abuse of
the semantics.
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/grouping-content.html#the-main-element

if not using an element but being able to style content other than the
heading,  is the desired outcome

section :not(h1) { }

would work to select content in a section that is not the heading.

--

Regards

SteveF