Re: [css-writing-modes] 9.1.3 Compression Rules

Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote on 2014/02/02 0:40:58
> On 2/1/14, 2:33 AM, "MURAKAMI Shinyu" <murakami@antenna.co.jp> wrote:
>
> >http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-writing-modes/#text-combine-compression
> >
> >> Example 20
> >> For example, a simple OpenType-based implementation might compress
> >> the text as follows:
> >> 1. Enable 1/n-width glyphs for combined text of n characters.
> >> (I.e. Use OpenType hwid for 2 characters, twid for 3 characters,
> >> etc.) Note that the number of characters ≠ number of Unicode
> >> codepoints!
> >> 2. Horizontally scale the result to 1em if it is not yet 1em or
> >>narrower.
> >
> >In this description, "or narrower" in the last sentence seems a mistake.
> >Narrower text in tate-chu-yoko has no problem and should not scale to 1em,
> >nor change to full-width glyph for 1 character.
> >(Clarify n ≥ 2 in "Enable 1/n-width glyphs…")
>
> Yes, the sentence is saying to not scale the result if it is already
> narrower. Another way to phrase the sentence would be:
>
> 2. If the result is wider than 1em, scale the result to 1em.
>
> My sentence and the sentence in the draft are exactly equivalent.

I see.  It was my misreading, I read the sentence as
"if it is not yet 1em or __it is__ narrower."

I'm afraid that other people do same misreading.

In fact, I found one implementation has this problem;
MS IE11 (-ms-text-combine-horizontal) scales narrower text to 1em
or changes the glyph to full-width variant.
The result of this scaling is very ugly :(

Thanks,

Shinyu Murakami
Antenna House