Re: First formatted line doubt (::first-line and ::first-letter)

On Sunday 2014-12-07 14:57 +0100, Manuel Rego Casasnovas wrote:
> The specific text from the spec:
> "The first line of a table-cell or inline-block cannot be the first
> formatted line of an ancestor element. Thus, in <DIV><P STYLE="display:
> inline-block">Hello<BR>Goodbye</P> etcetera</DIV> the first formatted
> line of the DIV is not the line "Hello"."
>
> I'm wondering what would be the first formatted line in the spec example
> (probably the spec could be updated to be more explicit regarding it).
> I think that it should be "etcetera" or none, as P is inline-block and
> should be ignored.

It seems like the first formatted line ought to be the line of the
DIV that contains the P and the word etcetera.

That's how I interpret the spec, at least.  I think it's trying to
say that the first formatted line is the first line of the block,
unless the block has a block-level child (or block level child's
block level child, etc.) with an earlier line.

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,
             And to whom I was like to give offense.