Re: [css-flexbox] Fixed mistakes in min-size:auto section, please review

On 08/18/2014 04:08 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> Hm, you're right.  I was operating under the assumption that
> "flex-basis: 100px;" and "flex-basis: main-size; width: 100px;" should
> be absolutely identical in all circumstances, but I guess this is a
> situation where they can have different behavior.

Yeah -- IIRC, we made "min-width:auto" depend on specified "width" [via
flex-basis:main-size] just to make things more intuitive for authors who
had content like...

...and then got confused about why their specified "width" seemed to be
ignored.

Authors have expectations about specified "width"/"height" being honored
(even if they're small), but I don't think they've developed similar
expectations about "flex-basis" (which is good, because flex-basis is
just just a "basis" from which we generally expect to "flex"). That
difference in expectations is why I think it's reasonable for these
behaviors to differ, even though it's a bit inconsistent.

> I'll remove the
> first bullet-point, then.

Cool, that sounds good to me. Thanks!

~Daniel