Re: [css-backgrounds] Canvas background with display:none or visibility:hidden

On 07/17/2014 06:59 AM, Bert Bos wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 July 2014 17:51:33 Bert Bos wrote:
>
>> The WG decided[1] nevertheless to add that special case, also because it
>> is unclear how to interpret 'background-position' for an element with
>> 'display: none'.
>
> With that in mind, here is an updated proposal for the errata. Add, right
> after the paragraph in 14.2[2] that ends
>
>      [...] Such backgrounds must also be anchored at the same point as
>      they would be if they were painted only for the root element.
>
> the following two new paragraphs:
>
> #   However, if no boxes are generated for the element whose background
> #   would be used for the background of the canvas, then the canvas
> #   background is transparent. (in CSS 2.1, that is the case when the
> #   element or an ancestor has 'display: none'.)
> #
> #   Note that, if the element has 'visibility: hidden' but not 'display:
> #   none', boxes _are_ generated for it and its background _is_ used for
> #   the canvas.

Okay, I've updated CSS3 Backgrounds and Borders with the proposed text.
I ended up rearranging a bit of the Backgrounds of Special Elements
section to make it fit:
   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-backgrounds-3/#special-backgrounds

Bert, could you take a look and let me know if the updated section is
all okay? (This is the last issue on the DoC!)

~fantasai