Re: [selectors] :any-link, :link and :visited should not match HTML's <link>

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 17:41:32 -0400
To: Benjamin Poulain <bpoulain@apple.com>, www-style@w3.org
On 8/13/14, 4:17 PM, Benjamin Poulain wrote:
> I understand Firefox does things differently, but what is the rationale behind that?

The fact that this is what the HTML spec said all along?

> Is there a new role for <link> I am unaware of?

No, just the old one dating back to HTML 4.

> Is it intended to replace <a> in some cases?

In theory.  Things like <link rel="next">.  In practice UA support was
spotty, as was website support.

> If you use -moz-any-link with querySelector on Firefox, half of the results are for stylesheets which is never what authors want.

I can't speak to what authors using -moz-any-link "want", but what it's
attributes, in practice) for styling with the default link styles in the
UA stylesheet.  Do the authors expect to see their <area> elements in
the return value of that querySelectorAll [I assume you meant that, not
querySelector] call?

-Boris