Re: [mediaqueries] battery life and screen type

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 09:51:10 +0200, Mike Garaffa <mike.garaffa@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Have battery life and screen type been considered as potential media
> queries? If possible, one could check the battery remaining and screen
> hardware of the current device being used to access their content.
> For example, if I could see that a user was at (low-battery) and their
> screen type was (amoled) I could take advantage of their amoled screen
> and
> adjust my css to display a primarily black layout to conserve their
> remaining battery power.

I don't recall this possible media feature being previously discussed.
Adjusting to the environement to use less energy sounds like a reasonable
enough goal, but I am not sure this is the right approach.

- How low should the battery be before it is low enough to trigger this?

- You don't always want to wait until the battery is low to try to reduce
consumption

- expecting web developers to know about the energy usage patterns of
different screen technologies doesn't sound realistic to me

- Turning off animations, videos, or other cpu/gpu intensive tasks may
have a bigger effect

Instead, I am thinking this could be offered by a User Agent as a power
saving mode, which would affect the page via already existing MQ's such as
"update-frequency" to turn of videos, or light-level / inverted-colors [1]
to get a black background.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Oct/0672.html

  - Florian