[css-grid] Specification confusing, needs improvement

From: Axel Dahmen <brille1@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 20:23:34 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
After reading through the CSS3 Grid Layout Module spec @ [
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-grid/ ] I feel confused.

The specification introduces quite a lot new (?) CSS syntax constructs, like
the slash ("/") character for column spanning or identifiers to identify
column line names. I'm not quite sure whether this syntax complexity is
really necessary to accomplish the goals of a grid layout, or if these could
be easily avoided giving the spec a second thought.

For instance, instead of using a slash character to give a span value, it'd
be sufficient to introduce a new property like, e.g., "grid-column-span".

The specification, to me, doesn't get clear about what actually is getting
defined by all the new rules. It lacks a common thread. Each of the property
definitions seems unaligned and out of context compared to other CSS Grid
Layout properties.

The "grid-template-areas" property syntax looks very "colloquial" and
non-mathematical. To me, the "." property value proves to be the placeholder
for the bad idea behind this property design. And the "grid-template-areas"
property contradicts the "grid-column"/"grid-column" properties. What if
both, areas and grid-columns/rows are getting applied to an element?

My conclusion after reading the spec:

In general, the current CSS Grid Layout specification unnecessarily bloats
CSS. The specification ...

(1) is missing a clear, deductive approach, thereby losing track on
unnecessary properties / property values.
(2) complicates the CSS language by unnecessarily introducing new syntax
constructs.
(3) creates a whole bunch of new, grid specific properties where more
general (perhaps even already existing) properties (applicable to other
layout types) might be more appropriate.

I humbly like to suggest to review the CSS Grid Layout specification.

Regards,
Axel Dahmen
www.axeldahmen.de