Re: [css-color] Preemptive rebuttal to requests to merge the JS color classes

From: Zack Weinberg <zackw@panix.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 14:13:33 -0400
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 1:55 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Zack Weinberg <zackw@panix.com> wrote:
>>
>> Who said you have to argue *against* anything?  Make a positive case
>> for YOUR proposal, independent of any other proposals that may or may
>> not be on the table, by demonstrating what code written to it looks
>> like.
>
> The positive case is "I came up with the idea and designed it".

Perhaps it'll make more sense if I phrase it this way: It is difficult
for me to evaluate whether your design will be any good in practice,
because there are no examples of how the API is *used*.  For the same
reason it is difficult for me to say whether any of the
counterproposals would be better.

If you wrote some nontrivial examples (more than just a function or
two -- full-fledged demo programs of some sort) it would be much
easier to evaluate the quality of the API.  (And I think the people
making counterproposals should do the same using their preferred
APIs.)

zw