Re: [css-flexbox][css-grid] Doubt about properties that have no effect on flex/grid containers

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 16:16:25 -0700
To: Manuel Rego Casasnovas <rego@igalia.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 9:25 AM, Manuel Rego Casasnovas <rego@igalia.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> flexbox and grid specs have a very similar section about some properties
> that don't apply to flex/grid containers. Let me ask a question about
> how they should work using the following 2:
> * all of the column-* properties in the Multicol module have no effect
> on a flex/grid container.
> * the ::first-line and ::first-letter pseudo-elements do not apply to
> flex/grid containers.

The column properties have no effect on a flex container, but a flex
container placed *inside* of a multicol element will still act
normally for how things inside of columns act.

What it means, exactly, for ::first-line/letter to "not apply" to
flex/grid containers isn't yet specified.  We need to better define
::first-line/letter.  Basically, though, it'll mean that
::first-line/letter on the flex/grid container itself won't match
anything, and on an ancestor, the flex/grid container won't be part of
that pseudo-element.