Re: [css-transforms] Adding specialized properties for simple transforms

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 10:32 AM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
> On 8/6/14, 8:13 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>>For all these reasons, I propose adding 'translate', 'scale', and
>>'rotate' functions to the Transforms spec, with the grammars and
>>effects stated in the previous message.
>
> So the question of how these new properties interact with transform is
> still open? The previous message suggests both TRSTr and TTrRS. My naïve
> preference is for the former, as that’s easier to explain and remember. I
> assume both orders will have cases with unwanted effects.

Nah, I resolved that (though I think only on the call).  TRSTr is
definitely the way to go.

You're right that both will have interesting effects.  TRSTr means
that the t/r/s properties will work normally in any case, but will
have effects on 'transform'.  TTrRS means that the t/r/s properties
won't have any effect on 'transform', but 'transform' will have an
effect on 'rotate' and 'scale'.  I think the former is better than the
latter; it keeps the simple cases simple, and authors *already* have
to have an advanced understanding of how 'transform' works in order to
do such complex cases, so there's really no change there.