Re: Image orientation for backgrounds

On Tue, 2014-04-15 at 14:28 -0400, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 4/15/14 2:13 PM, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> > Wouldn't a good way for Web apps be to have a JavaScript interface to
> > EXIF metadata?
>
> That's not enough, unfortunately, because there is no way to specify a
> rotation for just a background

Good point.

>  and if you process the JPEG image to
> produce a rotated image (e.g. by painting to a canvas, getImageData,
> etc) you end up with some quality loss during the reencode.

One can rotate a jpeg image losslessly if it's a multiple of 8 pixels
wide; otherwise, there will be the same losses regardless.

>   And if you
> don't reencode you pay a pretty hefty memory price for keeping the
> decompressed data in memory...
Naah, a 40 megapixel node is just like a couple of DOM nodes :-)

So, really what I'm hearing is you need a way to tell the browser
rotate/transform a background image, and a way to find out from the
image metadata if that's needed, right?